To Ride Stinky

So, I went to the Bazaar again today - mostly to get some jewelry for my beautiful wife and for my lovely daughter (I scored some good stuff if you want to ask them). I have been looking at this camel every time i walk through so i wanted decided to take a picture with him.



We call him stinky the camel - i will let you all try to figure out why he got that name.



Anyway - these are not particularly flattering shots of me - you get my pasty white thighs and my hair that needs cutting - but i thought the kids would like this.



Of course the guy didn't speak much English and in true Afghan style argued with me about the costs. He has a sign that says $5 for picture with the camel, $10 for a ride - well i interpret that as $5 to sit on the camel - he interprets it as $5 for every picture that gets taken on the camera so i think i totally got robbed on this one. I ended up paying $20 for the ride and 6 pictures - but i got taken - always negotiate price before you ride a camel - i am pretty sure Lawrence of Arabia said the same thing in The Seven Pillars of Wisdom.



So sorry that i haven't written in the last few weeks - a lot has happened at work - not much of which i can speak about. I did get to fly down to another base for a few days to work with an air crew that was involved in a heavy fire fight - I love getting out and doing that kind of thing.

1 comment:

Rose said...

In the first photo, it looks like both the handler and the camel are smiling. This should have been the "tip off" that something was up. Now Lawrence of Arabia would have picked up on that one.