Handmade Cakeplates

As I mentioned in my previous post, Sarah and I really get crafty whenever we're together. One of our projects this trip was cakeplates. We had seen a booth at my craftfair in August sell these and we fell in love! They are made with upcycled dishware and some industrial strength glue. Between August and October, we each went thrift shopping for some beautiful dishware finds. These pictures don't adequately portray exactly how much we had collected; it seemed like we had piles everywhere. And then we just started cleaning, scraping off stickers, and then matching and gluing. Jared was kind enough to drill some holes in a few top plates so we could add some decorative knobs that we found on sale at Anthropologie. We wound up finishing 28 plates!

Eventually I will create a blog for my more artistic ventures, but I just wanted to share this idea for anyone looking for some inexpensive and fun homemade gift ideas.



The glue we used is called E600 and can be found at Walmart or any craft store. Let it dry for at least 24 hours.


This plate has girls from the 50's waterskiing in their bikinis. It just makes me smile.

I think I might keep these two rose-topped plated for a future tea party or something girly.
And my favorite plate from one of my very favorite films, "Gone with the Wind." Isn't Miss Scarlett O'Hara so adorable! I will be keeping this dish for butter or cheese.


1 comment:

Miss Heather said...

Those turned out great! I'm so glad you found more knobs at Anthropologie... the ones you got when we were there are AWESOME! So the drill went through the glass without breaking it? That's so cool!