This is the toilets. If you guessed shipping container you are also right - they put toilets and sinks into a shipping container and then shipped it over to Afghanistan for us to use. - Very clever. There are even some two story toilet/shower combo stacked shipping containers.
These then are the showers. Yes, they are also built out of shipping containers, but the construction is a little bit trickier. The "clean" water and water heaters are on the bottom and the showers are up above. The waste water is also collected in the bottom containers and then it is "recycled" which i think means that it is poured out into a field somewhere.
Yes "clean" is not an example of unnecessary quotation marks. They tell us not to drink the water. It has been "disinfected" so that it won't cause a flesh eating bacteria infection. But i don't know what else is in it still that makes it non-potable. I have been daring enough to brush my teeth with the water, but that is about as far as I will go. After spending two years in Taiwan with similar conditions, I figure I am relatively safe.
That and the fact that i have had every immunization ever given to man or beast. (And I take a prophylactic antibiotic pill every day).


No comments:
Post a Comment