I am so happy with Real Simple Magazine right now. I skimmed an article a month or two ago on how to unshrink a woolen sweater, but I usually just skim everything and then keep the magazine around for awhile, skim it again, and then recycle. (Unlike Bon Appetit, which I hang on to...I mean stacks...with every intention to someday clip and organize recipes...ah, someday). Anyway, I had already recycled my Real Simple, when one day last week I tossed a brand-stinken new merino wool sweater IN THE DRYER!!! Yep, it came out looking like Isabel's brand new merino wool sweater. But, AHA, I had some new knowledge that kept me from crying. So here's what I did:
I filled my bathtub with an inch or two of lukewarm water and about 3-4 tablespoons of tear-free baby shampoo. Something about it magically unlocks the shrunken fibers.
I soaked my sweater for about 15 minutes.
When taking it out, I gently wrung out the excess water, and didn't rinse out the shampoo.
I stretched it out, working sections in different directions and then spread it out over a couple of towels. When it looked stretched to where it once was, I put weights down to hold it in place while it dried.
Every few hours I went and stretched it back out until it was completely dry.
And I am happy to tell you this morning, that my sweater is restored!


No comments:
Post a Comment