Bumbershoot 2010

Every year Andrea and I go to a local music festival. We typically do it as part of our anniversary celebration – we get a hotel and stay in Seattle. Last year we missed it when I was deployed – so I was so excited to get there this year.

Flat Stock

Thanks to my co-worker John. He pointed out that there is a poster exhibition – called “flatstock.” Print artists from around the world show up – most of their posters are for the bands and musicians. This was seriously one of my favorite parts of the weekend – cheap limited edition posters. We got to chat with the poster artists – hear stories of how they connect with the musicians and how their art is used in albums and posters. It was so much fun. We had about 20 we wanted to buy.

We ended up purchasing just four (Arcade Fire, Decemberists, Band of Horses and Spoon). So I have my decorations for when I eventually get a music room.

The Constellations

I am torn about how to describe this next band – they have a cool sound – kind of a hard rock hip-hop vibe. And the lead singer looks like a total child molester. I couldn’t even bring myself to take a picture. He had a Hawaiian shirt over a white t-shirt – with long greasy-curly hair with a straw hat and sunglasses. Eww. I won’t even link to their webpage… Anyway – if you want to give them a listen, recommended song: Perfect Day You have been warned.

Hey Marseilles

This was a real surprise – we were just walking by a stage that wasn’t even on the schedule – and we heard this lovely acoustic group – guitars and drums – and standard sound – but they had a cello and viola accompanying them too. Turns out they are a local band with songs about local landmarks like gasworks park. Recommended Listen: Rio

The Decemberists

Decemberists are one of those bands that I “theoretically” like. I know several of their songs and can even play a couple on the guitar. They were very good live – they sounded almost as good as the recordings. They are talented and I can appreciate what they do.

But as I was saying - I only like them in theory not in real-life. Their songs are just a little too much story-telling for me I guess. Same reason I don’t like country music. Oh and he sings horribly – like he has a permanent sinus infection. Same reason I don’t like country music. It is like all of the bad parts of country music transferred to indie-rock music.

Anyway – if you must listen - recommended Song: 16 Military Wives

The Parlour Steps

They are a Canadian group. Their music was very cool – energetic and fun. The lyrics were a little cheesy at times. I guess I am not ready to hear songs about email and texting… call me old fashioned.

The best part was the location – this was inside the “experience the music” museum. It is just a freaky-modern building – but it was by far the coolest place I have seen a performance. There were inverted umbrellas on the ceiling that rose and fell – along with all kinds of neon spacey colors. I would go again just for the location. Recommended Song: As the World Turned Out

Bob Schneider

We only listened to him for a few songs – but Bob Schneider has a very bluesy feel that I really like. I wish we could have listened to him more, but we had to get over to see the next act. Recommended Song: Big Blue Sea

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

This was probably the most enjoyable music of the day – Edward Sharp was full of energy – they were fun and completely let loose. In addition – we were right under the space needle as dusk set in – so picturesque – this is what northwest music is about – lovely locations and great music.

Despite all of the good music, I could never shake the feeling that I was watching a Manson Family reunion. Just way too much shirtless, long haired hippie looking people for me. A few of the spouses even had their little kids up on stage with them – dancing around and running in and out of the 3 drum kits and 7 guitar players. Just a mass gang of musicians. Recommended Song: Home

Bob Dylan

We have both always loved Bob Dylan’s music since we were teenagers. His “greatest hits” album was one of the many albums we had duplicates of when we were first married. We just knew we had to go see him.

So in grand tradition of Main Stage acts that sound horrible (Beck was just awful) Bob Dylan did not disappoint… or he did disappoint – but it was not disappointing – because we expected it.

Midway through his second song – Andrea asked me if I was so excited to hear that song. I asked her which song it was – she looked at me with a blank stare and told me it was my favorite song. So that just tells you how bad the sound was – I didn’t even recognize my favorite song. Watching Bob Dylan so long after his prime is like going to see Mohammed Ali if he was trying to get back in the ring again.

Anyway – I guess we can say we have seen Bob Dylan perform. I really think he sounds best just by himself with a guitar – but oh well – that doesn’t play well in front of 20,000 people. My recommended song is the one I didn’t even know he was playing: Don’t think Twice – It’s Alright.

I don't even know why i just included that picture. It could be Tom Jones singing for all you would know. There is a nice view of the porta-potty. If any of you like Nick Drake – there is also a bootleg of him performing the song floating around.

2 comments:

Marshall said...

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of The Decemberists... then again I may like them for all of the reasons that you do not. I really like the story telling and the clever lyrical prose. I can't express how jealous I am that you also got to enjoy both Spoon and Arcade Fire. Band of Horses are generally hit or miss with me but I still wouldn't pass on the chance to see them live. I'm really looking forward to when we can start making Bumbershoot a double date.

gma dahlin said...

Wow! Fun! Gotta love concerts .... feeling old though, have we heard any of these bands? Gotta go back through and listen. Except of course old Bob! Hard Rain Gonna Fall?